Wednesday 17 August 2011

Problems, what problems?

After a sleepless night I started off almost an hour behind my planned time but the sun was shining and I had some time to play with. After 5 miles my bike came to a stop and horrors of horrors I found that I hadn't put the back wheel on properly. Thankfully it didn't come off and once sorted my speed improved.
All this meant I had less time to chat with my sister,Mary and husband Nigel in Aberdeen (18 miles on)but they waved me off on my next leg to the Edinburgh bike co op where Scott did some last minute adjustments before I headed for the train. Mary joined me again there to help if needed. Staff at the station were great though and no complaints about my trailer.
At Mary's and Nigel's  ( photo by Nigel Dower)

At Edinburgh haymarket I got off no bother but my biggest problem was finding the Union Canal as I dodged rush hour traffic. All the other cyclists confidently whizzed past, weaving through the cars and overtaking buses. Google maps on my phone proved impossible to read inthe bright sunlight so I had to ask directions. Once on the canal I hit rush hour bike traffic but had a pleasant, sunny cycle to my daughter , Rachel , in Ratho.
Union Canal


31.37 miles on the clock. Day 1 over and everything went more or less smoothly.

Day 2 and in the morning in typical miserable weather we gave Big George a good send off. I left the proceedings after the crematorium and headed on the bus back to Ratho. It was still raining but as I set off the sun came out and I had a pleasant cycle to Edinburgh Park Station and from there the train to Dunblane. I arrived in sunshine and after a bit of a struggle over the foot bridge was on my road to Comrie. A sudden shower meant that I got thoroughly soaked before spending a very pleasant evening was spent with Jimmy and Vicky day 2 over and 53.8 on the clock(total)

No comments:

Post a Comment