Tuesday 23 August 2011

One more sleep



End of Public Road
Rush hour on Jura
Woke after  a wonderful sleep. Packed up and reached the road end by nine. Found it guarded by a herd of coos who weren't going to budge. Inched past them making reassuring noises that  I wasn't going to take their calves.The track at this point looked no worse than the public road but it didn't last and for 5 miles pushed the bike and trailer, the latter getting caught on the rushes in the centre of the track. Generally though it was ok if a bit slow.


Barnhill
A mile after the house where George  Orwell wrote 1984 I came  to  Kinauachdrachd at about 11.30 . I  went to introduce myself to Joan and  Mike to find that their son, Duncan had just arrived with Ian McKinnon by boat from the mainland. Duncan remembered my parents and their  V.W.  van. Ian is the grandson of the former ferryman who lived at Kinaudrachd. His father had been one of 9 children brought up there. Ian had some fascinating historical tales to tell. Also he knew various people I knew. We discussed how well the weather looked for my swim and then I  went off to pitch my tent to leave Joan and Mike to their visitors.
My campsite was down on the bay. Kinuachdrachd apparently means "harbour of  the ebbing tide" another good omen for me. I may get to see otters. Kinuachdrachd has some of the ancient woodland that use to cover the whole of Jura. It has survived by being protected from grazing pressures that has seen most of Jura reduced to open moorland.
Kinuachrachd

Later I stopped in on Joan and Mike whose visitors had gone. Mike is in a wheelchair as a result of Lyme disease (a tick-borne illness which is extremely debilitating if not treated early). We set the world to rights  ( well a bit ) before I headed to the north end of Jura to see the Corryvreckan . On the way I met Polly and Mike , an English couple who are on holiday. They were interested in what I was doing and promised to look up John Muir Trust on their return to the world of computer communications. (they did and sponsored me, Thank-you so much!)


Gulf of the Corryvrechan













To me , when I got there , the Corryvreckan looked reasonable but as I sat in the lovely sunshine it seemed to grow bigger. I returned my tent to find a gift of 3 home grown tomatoes from Joan & Mike. delicious
I rightly guessed that I wouldn't sleep   nor would I see any otters. Tomorrow, well ....

No comments:

Post a Comment