Sunday 7 August 2011

One or two Hiccups

Before I talk about the hiccups the great news is that I have reached my target and beyond for sponsorship. But don't let that stop you sponsoring me if you haven't yet got around to it. It would be great to get half as much again!
 I speculated last week about getting seasick swimming. I wasn’t really serious but had occasionally felt a little woozy, something I put down to tiredness.  At the start of this week the conditions in Hackley Bay couldn’t have been better. The tides were right and there was a decent swell but no large breakers. My condition was less than perfect. I started fine but after a couple of crossings felt lethargic, headachy and slightly giddy, I rolled over onto my back to see if that helped, it only made things worse. I closed my eyes and a larger wave took me up, then down and I almost lost my breakfast. Conclusion I get seasick swimming.
Back home I sought advice on Facebook and instantly my friends came up with a number of options I could try. On Gayle and Pat’s advice I chose the wristband route first; having a pair left over from cetacean watch days onboard the Hascosay. Tuesday saw me back down at HB, slightly sceptical about whether the bands would work but they did and I had three more good swims this week feeling much better. It may be psychological . I don't know but it doesn't matter!
The trip is not just about swimming. I have been concentrating on that because it is the big unknown. However I have a fair bit to cycle to get there and some big (for me) days. On Wednesday I had things to do in Aberdeen, not least picking up my tent which has been away since 28th May supposedly having a leaky groundsheet fixed. It is not fixed and it has taken far longer to get to nowhere than I was told it would take to have it mended but that is another story. End result is that I am now travelling with an extra groundsheet which I rather do without. The cycle to Aberdeen (37 miles round trip) included my trailer half full and therefore could give me an idea of how I fast (slow) I would be travelling. I had hoped to average 10m.p.h (this allows time for stoppages, photography etc). Forget 10 mph, forget stoppages, I will be lucky if I make an average 7mph. It is now just week before I leave so I need to get some serious cycling in. This is difficult as I am on a run of 9 shifts in 9 days until I leave plus having to go to some day time meetings.  
To make life a bit easier I have decided to invest in some clip-less pedals and spd cycle shoes. For non cycling readers this is the way to fix your foot to the pedal so you make use of the upward motion of the pedal as well as the down. They take a bit of practise and apparently you have to get used to falling off your bike to begin with. I had wanted a pair that would be comfortable for walking in and suitable for the Paps but the gortex ones only come in men’s sizes.  This is something I often find with cycling (and to a less extent walking) it is all geared towards men. I have to make do with waterproof trousers that are about a foot too long, my road bike is a man’s etc etc. Anyway the pair of spd shoes I was recommended as an alternative would not be suitable for the Paps of Jura so I am faced with carrying 2 pairs of shoes. My trailer is beginning to look small. Cycling and hill walking gear can be compatible but I like to be high viz on the road and no viz on the hill so I have yet to sort this out with separate jackets for each activity.
Whilst I was making my purchases in the Edinburgh Cycle Co-op I was talking to Les, who was advising me on the pedals and shoes, about why I was buying them. He rather cheerily told me that towing a trailer was like doubling your distance each day. Next Monday I may have to leave Aberdeen at 05.00 in order to get to Forfar before dark! It was also quite concerning that many of the staff in the bike shop have had accidents on their bikes when mixing with cars. One had been hit by an audi travelling at 70 mph on the very road I am travelling. Leastways with the trailer I should be more visible. Back home it took me the best part of the evening to sort one shoe and pedal so no time for the practise. The other shoe took less than 5 minutes but both need to be properly adjusted and I can’t find my 3mm allan key. The tension is too tight at the momentt and I can’t get the shoe into the pedal, let alone off.

What I have got sorted is my itinerary whether I will stick to it remains to be seen!.
Sunday 14th work until 5p.m. (hopefully) 
17.30 Leave home ( with Claire and Caspar looking after the house while I am away)
20.00 Arrive at Mary's and Nigel's at Bridge of Don (18.5 miles)
Monday 15th 
Early, Leave Bridge of Don , cycle to Forfar via Montrose and the North Sea Cycle Route 70 plus miles .
Collapse at Tom's and Irene's overnight . A few years to catch up on.
Tuesday 16th
Forfar to Comrie 55 miles, will I still be able to stand by the time I roll up at Vicky's and Jimmy's?
Wednesday 17th
Comrie to Blarghour (Loch Awe) including up and over Glen Ogle. 62 miles.
Thursday 18th
Blarghour to Kennacraig and the ferry across to Port Askaig, Islay 42 miles.
Friday 19th
Gentle day exploring Islay but possibly not going as far as I had hoped. would like to see the Port Ellen lighthouse but that is 20 plus miles from Port Askaig so I may just give it a miss!
Saturday 20th
Over to Jura and the Paps, weather permitting. If not.....
Sunday 21st
Paps of Jura and then head up to Tarbert or as far as I can get before setting up camp

Monday 22nd
to Kinauchdrachd if I haven't already got there. A gentle day of  strolling and swimming etc.
Tuesday 23 rd
Bike, trailer and myself collected by the guys from Coastal Connection .swim the Corryvreckan. Get dropped back on the mainland and start cycling for home probably camping enroute rather than staying with cousin Ian near Oban.
Wednesday 23rd
Get to Crieff and stop over with fellow trustee Deirdre and her parents.
After this it gets a bit vague as I need to get as far up the road as possible, hopefully camping somewhere on the coast on Thursday and getting to Aberdeen by Friday. I am due back to work 08.45 Sunday 28th


 

No comments:

Post a Comment