Friday 26 August 2011

Home!

"Mum risks dangerous whirlpools to help trust" is the heading of the article in the Aberdeen Evening Express. Rather worryingly it goes on to report I have 2 children. Where are my 3rd child and my 2 grandchildren ?.  Surely "Grandmother risks life in dangerous whirlpools to help Trust" may have been a slightly more accurate and interesting headline. However this is the Evening Ex and the poor reporter had to contend with interviewing me with a backdrop of roaring traffic on the A85, and all publicity as they say.......
The Press an Journal could have had the heading "N.E woman is not lost at sea" (there is an urban myth that the parochial P&J reported on the sinking of the Titanic as "N.E. man lost at sea") but had "N.E. woman swims across whirlpool to raise £1300 for charity". Accurate in all respects but the total which has increased by nearly £400 in 2 days with more promised!
The final leg of the challenge is now complete with 427.72 on the clock. These last 2 days have been hard. The swim done , my clothes stinking I just wanted home. Wednesday I did 50 miles, yesterday 71 and today 56. The hills became harder and harder but when I stoppped in at Mary and Nigel's in Aberdeen I traded my wet camping gear (it had rained last night at St Cyrus) for mushrooms, broccoli and onions. So a much lighter load  for the last 18 miles and something for my tea. My clothes are undergoing an industrial strength wash, I have had a lush infused bath , food and a glass (or 2) of something cold and bubbly, the cat has been stroked ( a lot, he is high maintenance)everything else can wait for the morrow. Photos to follow and much much much thanks for everyone's support and help to get me there and back in one piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment