Sunday 3 April 2011

No SOS

A quick perusal of Scotland on Sunday on line and I don't feature. This is not of great concern to me but it might have helped raise the profile of the swim and the John Muir Trust. I guess I wasn't interesting enough. The reporter had been interested in the "fear of water" angle and I probably didn't come across as being all that feart so I suppose "Swimmer mildly frightened of putting her head in the water takes on the Corryvreckan" didn't do it for the paper! I did point out that as I am cycling to Jura from home I was more likely to be taken out on the cycle across Scotland than the swim across the Corryvreckan.

Anyway I have had a quick visit home (to go to work, catch up on mail, clean van, do some indoor swimming etc) after Harris before heading off to Knoydart for my first John Muir Trust work party of the year and hopefully lots of swimming across Inverie Bay. There are not likely to be any blog entries until I get home as there is no mobile reception.

I discovered a website today all about wild swimming and giving various locations across the country where you can do this. I have been swimming outdoors for 50 years and didn't know that there were "special" locations. There is something satisfying about finding your own favourite places without being told. Rather worryingly the information on swimming the Corryvreckan wasn't there despite references to it.
It also gave tips on chosing a wetsuit some of which I agreed with but one thing I would advise against is buying one on-line. I did my research on-line and possibly would have ended up with an extra large (at 5ft 3 inches and 9 stone) as opposed to a large but thankfully went to a real shop and tried on a couple. I am even getting better at getting it on and off. Soon I hope to be spend less time taking off my wet suit than I do in the water!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information. Those are pretty much useful information on swimming Corryvreckan and might as well other seas. As for now, do you happen to be swimming Corryvreckan this month? We are planning for Corryvreckan cruises, we might see you.

    ReplyDelete