Wednesday 6 July 2011

A bit of smooth, a bit of rough, a bit of the other

I am either getting used to the cold or the sea temperature is definitely warmer. So much so I am planning (but not yet executing) to complete each practice swim with a length across the bay without my wet suit. A sunny day would be ideal for this but I may have a long wait and only 6 weeks to go.
At the end of June I was over at Corrour for a week on a JMT work party. Most days I went for a short swim in Loch Ossian.I found I really prefer to swim in the sea. The conditions were benign on the Loch but I never felt that I got into my stroke. Avoiding fallen trees and sinking into the sediment on the bottom were enough to put me off. Other than that the beautiful setting and not having to watch for tides or currents were somewhat liberating. Given another week I may have become happier with it.
Loch Ossian, looking North


Back at Hackley Bay the Kittiwake, fulmar and shag chicks are growing and conditions in the bay are never the same from one visit to the next. I am easily distracted by taking photos of damselflies and butterflies on the way to and from the bay.
Emerald Damselfly


Delayed by photography one day I arrived too late for a swim but was able to walk across the route I normally swim, measuring the length by GPS. I made it 152 +/- 5m so am upping my crossings to 8 to make sure I am used to swimming the distance required.
Yesterday my sister, Mary, came too. The weather was dull and there was a fair swell into the bay.
Swimming in the swell


I didn't manage much of a swim but more practice at this sort of swimming should stand me in great stead for the conditions at the Corryvreckan. Mary took a few photos.
Swell














Heading for the Rocks










Mary has also put me in touch with Joan and Mike Richardson who are old friends of my parents. They live at Kinuachdrachd which is where I will be camping on my last night before my Corryvreckan swim
.
You will note some improvements to my Blog over the past week. This is thanks to Dave, fellow JMT volunteer on the Corrour work party at the end of June. Now you will be able to see the weather on Jur (live), a countdown to my swim and brief headlines of previous posting. I hope to be able to upload a slide show of all the locations I have swum at.  Thank-you Dave.
 Finally I have confirmed my itinerary for the cycle route across to Jura. The home  run needs some confirmations.


          

No comments:

Post a Comment