Thursday 2 June 2011

Records

Having gadded about for most of April and managed a fair bit of safe training swims, May saw me very firmly at home and trying to fit in training around my work. I am managing to get to Hackley Bay 1-2 times a week and have had more practise of swimming in a swell. I love the cycle, the walk across the NNR and along the cliff to Hackley Bay with the wild flowers, butterflies and the colonies of nesting seabirds on the cliffs. 

Noisy fulmars
 Whilst I swim I have been visited by a seal and I am accompanied by the noise of the bickering fulmars
Curious Seal

This week I have seen 3 records set on my money raising page. I received a donation from a 92 year old my oldest donor so far (can anyone beat that!) who formerly sailed all around the west coast. He remembers sailing through the Corryvreckan in the 1930s sailing west to east with the ebb tide. He is reassured that I am swimming at slack tide between the flood and ebb of a neap tide. This is by far the safest time to do such a swim and why I am limited to the date of 23 rd August.
The other records broken this week were by the same person. The donation came From Canada via Scotland (the furthest yet) and was the largest at £100. Can you beat any of these! Seriously I am happy to take any sponsor, large or small or in-between it is all important.
Next venue for swimming will be Ullswater,a place my family visited on our travels in the 60s visiting farming friends of my parents. I remember watching new bornorphaned lambs being fostered by ewes whose own lambs had died (it was a bloody process ) . We swam in tarns. My first pet, a beautiful grey kitten I named Fern, came from this farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment