Tuesday 8 March 2011

That is it! I have now purchased my wet suit and even taken it down to the sea (at Collieston) to let it have a look but needless to say I found all sorts of very valid and serious reasons for not getting it wet. I daresay I could think of a few more today. However if I am serious about this I have to start to overcome some of my reservations. I am posting off my deposit to the guys at Coastal Connection (see link) who are providing my support boat and tomorrow I really intend to have my first sea swim.
Before that though (and anything to avoid the task ahead!) some FAQs (apologies for the poor phonetic Doric)
Fit ar yer doing?
Swimming from Jura to Scarba, a distance of 1.1 k, across the Gulf of the Corryvreckan
Fin like?
23 August 2011
Yir nae feart?
I'm no answering that
Fa the *!@? ar yer doing aat?
‘Cos it seemed like a good idea when I first read an account of it in the Scottish Mountaineer and I can also raise money for my favourite charity, The John Muir Trust. Besides what better way to go between the 2 islands. Also my name comes from the Gaelic Eilean nan Ron (Kyle of Tongue Sutherland) or Island of Seals which may be totally irrelevant.
Kin yer swim like?
A bit but I haven’t done much real sea swimming, certainly not since I was a kid, rather a long time ago. In the benign conditions of the local pool I can swim forever and regularly clock up 2-3km. Only problem is that unlike in the pool in the sea I have a problem putting my face in the water. I blame it on a near drowning experience when I was 3-4 but that’s probably just an excuse.
Dis it cost ME onything?
Aye, click on the sponsor tab at the top of my blog and hand over your money.
Ar ye nae cheating wirring one of thi yon suities?
Probably but it was good enough for the Mid Argyll Triathlon club. Anyways there is no telling on the day itself but it will help with the training. My suit is a 3-4-5 (that’s the thickness in mm in the arms, legs and body respectively)Body Glove Vibe. It is made of environmentally, non petroleum based stretchy stuff so its got to be good. The size is a bit confusing as it is LARGE.
I also have a hoodie which removes my ears each time I put it on and off
Fit aboot the jeelyfish?
Let’s not mention the jellyfish

No comments:

Post a Comment